Basic Function Construct, erect, install, and repair structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard (make concrete forms), using carpenter's hand tools and power tools. The forms are filled with concrete to mold concrete for building structures. Must have reliable transportation and be dependable.
- Measure and mark cutting lines on materials, using ruler, pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
- Shape or cut materials to precise measurements and assemble boards, timber or plywood to the necessary size, while building a wooden form in the shape of the structure (Forms are typically secured with nails, bolts, screws or anchor rods), using hand tools, machines, or a power saw.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean environment.
- Study specifications in blueprints, sketches or building plans to prepare project layout and determine dimensions, shape, design and materials required.
- Remove damaged or defective parts or sections of wooden structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of commercial construction and practices, procedures, techniques, tools and equipment, materials, specifications, quality control, cost control, and safety.
- Able to read blueprints.
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills necessary to do material estimates.
- Be organized to plan the sequence of work and must be able to use carpentry tools such as hand saws, electric saws and drills
- To have a good eye for details and be able to check that the work is level, plumb and square.
- High school graduate or GED
- 3-5 years' experience
Physical Demand and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Job requires ability to perform tasks on all areas and aspects of construction project. Requires ability to climb ladders for heights of up to 60 feet, and crawl for distances of 50 feet. Job requires ability to work with tools, lumber and materials. Ability to lift and manipulate objects of up to 80 lbs for 50 feet is required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment may vary depending on work site.